Super easy soft homemade play dough in 15 minutes!
I have tried many recipes for homemade play dough. Most of them didn’t work out for me very well. Some were hard to knead, others were lumpy, others were a bit of fuss to make. I ended up with this recipe is that makes a nice elastic and easy to play dough, that lasts a long time.
This play dough is also a successful party favor for young children. Simply store in plastic bags or jars, with plastic cookie cutters if you wish, and you’ll have a fantastic gift.
To personalize the gift, print a themed gift tag or thank you tag. DIYpartycreations.com offers a wide range of printable party decorations you may use.
Glitter could also be added to your play dough, I’m not a big fan of its mess! If you want to do so, add glitter gradually to a colored piece of play dough. Knead in the glitter until it is completely incorporated.
Scented play dough is not recommended for small children because they may become confused and eat the dough.
1. 20 gr cream of tartar
2. 250 gr table salt
3. 500 gr all-purpose flour
4. 35 gr vegetable oil (3 tablespoons)
5. 500 gr boiling water
6. food coloring (prefer gel food colorings for vibrant colors)
cooking gloves, plastic food bags
Tip before you start
If you don’t want to stain your hands with food coloring,
use cooking gloves
or knead the dough with the food coloring
inside a plastic food bag.
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the cream of tartar, the salt, and the flour.
2. Stir in the vegetable oil and boiling water with a large spoon until the mixture is not too hot to touch with your hands.
3. Knead with your fingers until it forms a smooth dough once it has cooled and thickened slightly.
4. Divide the dough into smaller pieces to make as many different colors as you want.
5. Gradually add food coloring to each piece and knead until the desired brightness and tone is achieved.
Make sure your play dough has completely cooled before storing. If not, it will become moist and mold will develop very quickly.
To make your play dough last longer, store it in airtight containers or ziplock plastic bags.
This play dough is strictly for entertainment purposes. It should not be consumed by children or pets!
If you liked this homemade play dough recipe, please share.
You can also follow me on