Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting!
Our modern carrot cake recipes, according to food historians, is thought to have its roots in the European Medieval period and was known as “carrot pudding”. At that time, sugar was expensive and many people used carrots as a natural sweetener. Although carrot cake recipes can be found in French, German, and Swiss cookbooks, the origin of carrot cake is thought to be in England.
Throughout history many similar recipes appear, mostly as desserts. Carrot pudding, carrot cake, carrot pancakes, carrot cake cookie, carrot bread, carrot cake porridge, carrot mugcake are some alternative names and presentations for similar recipes.
Carrot cake became popular in the United States in the 1960s. Since then, it has evolved into a classic American cake topped with cream cheese frosting. Perhaps this is how it came to be known as the most famous Classic American cake in the world.
There must be hundreds of carrot cake recipes available in cookbooks and on the internet; it’s difficult to choose which one to make. I’ve been making this recipe for years and it never disappoints! It’s delicious and simple to make, and I’ve used it to make birthday cakes, tea parties and school snacks. You can find decoration or packaging ideas at DIYpartycreations.com.
Carrot Cake recipe
• 330 gr all purpose flour
• 465 gr sugar
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 370 gr fine grated carrots (approx. 7 carrots)
• 200 gr vegetable oil
• 4 eggs
• 2 tsp vanilla extract
Let’s get started!
1. Prepare the baking pan(s) or the cupcake cups.
2. Preheat oven at 160ºC (325ºF).
3. In a big mixing bowl, mix together the first 6 ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, salt and cinnamon).
4. Add the remaining 4 ingredients (carrots, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract) and beat in medium-high speed until combined.
5. Keep beating for 2 more minutes in medium speed.
6. Turn the mixture into your baking pan(s) or cupcake cups.
7. Bake for 50-60 min at a 33×23 cm (13×9 inch) pan or until done. Cupcakes will need around 25 min baking or until done. Makes approx. 22 cupcakes.
8. Cool on a wire rack and remove from pans after cooling for 10 min.
• Add nuts or raisins
• Zest of an orange
• Add ½ tsp ground nutmeg and 1 tsp mixed spice
• Decorate with cream cheese frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting
Tops two 20-23 cm (8–9-inch) cakes with a thin icing layer. Double this portion if you with wish for a rich icing!
85 gr Cream Cheese (room temperature)
60 gr butter (room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla
220 gr sifted powdered sugar
1. In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract until fluffy.
2. Gradually add powdered sugar, while beating until smooth.
3. Spread the icing over the cooled cake or cupcakes.
4. Store in the refrigerator.
5. Before serving the cake, sprinkle chopped nuts or pour butterscotch caramel sauce over the icing, if desired.
Decorate your cupcakes with festive cupcake wrappers and decorations and enjoy.
If you liked this recipe, please share. You can follow me on